The prophet Isaiah proclaims, “And you will say in that day: “Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. “Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth.” Isaiah 12:4-5
Every time I travel to Haiti, I find myself giving praises and thanks to God. The many challenges facing Haiti are not ordained by God. It was not God who created the system that has caused so much suffering and deaths in Haiti. As a matter of fact, it took me a long time to realize that God does not sanction poverty and oppression. It is human beings in our brokenness who create and perpetuate systems designed to keep a person or people living in conditions less than human.
It is very easy to focus on the myriad of challenges facing Haiti and they are many.
- Haiti needs to build its infrastructure to make clean water, electricity and a sanitation system accessible to all.
- Haiti needs to ensure that every child has access to education.
- Haiti needs to provide security and incentives for those who want to come, visit and invest in the country.
- Haiti needs to provide employment to men and women longing to provide daily bread for their family.
- Haiti needs to keep those who are trained with skills to remain in Haiti and build our country.
- Haiti needs to reclaim its food production and adequately feed the population.
- Haiti needs to ensure that we respect the dignity of every Haitian regardless of social or economic background.
The many challenges facing Haiti are not difficult to be listed and offer to God. In my prayers, I cry, how long, O Lord? I keep hoping that one day the list above shrinks to the point organizations like Haiti Micah Project (HMP) will be a thing of the past. But, until such a time, I find myself giving praises to God for the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of God’s children through HMP. I give God thanks every time I see the faces of the children we serve, especially those we have been supporting since 2006. God has called you and me to keep these children alive and give them a chance to live out God’s purpose for their lives on this side of the kingdom.
That’s why I cannot help, but give thanks to the Lord and proclaim His name. In spite of human unfaithfulness, God is faithful. God is at work in the world. I give God thanks for you. I give God thanks for your continued support as we expand the ministry of HMP. Together, we are saving lives and there is no greater joy than knowing albeit in a small way, we are making difference. Thanks be to God!